Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Best Reads of 2008

One of my favorite things in the world is to curl up with a good book and get lost in it.

Here are my top picks of the year:

Infidel- memoirs of a woman's journey away from the middle east and Islam. Read it!

Daughter of Fortune- historical fiction set during the San Francisco gold rush.

Blessings- plodding but richly layered story of an old woman's discoveries of her past and present.

Me Talk Pretty Someday- My first David Sedaris experience. Hilarious.

Garlic and Sapphires- The memoirs of the former New York Times food critic.

The Book of Air and Shadows- A Dan Brownesk adventure full of interesting details.

Dracula- The classic. I actually got nightmares. I could only read during the daylight hours because I was so scared.

So, my real reason for this post is because I went to the library yesterday and nothing caught my eye. I need some suggestions. What have been your favorite reads this year?

4 comments:

Brett, Jaymie, McKaleigh, Colton, Alex said...

Sarah Sarah...you know what my recommend is...The Twilight series is just up stairs at my moms! No, seriously, you should read "Against Medical Advice." It is a true story about Tourettes Syndrome. It will give you a new perspective about those that suffer from this disease.

Chelsea and gang said...

Sarah girl! How the heck are you? You look like you have had an amazing year and so much fun with your hubby! That's exciting. Send me your email so I can invite you to read our blog. You can see pics of my cute baby! I miss you girl! My email address is chelsmccleve@gmail.com
PS I know lots of books by LDS authors that I love, and I just read Nicolas Sparks new book called Luck One...so good! The end about had me ripping my hair out lol. Love you girl!

Tawny Crane said...

I did the same thing this year, I walked into library, and looked at all the books and thought..."wow there is NOTHING to read". My sister introduced me to goodreads.com. Its nice because you can see what your friends are reading (if they have already created an account there for example Hallie has one with lots of books). Anywho hope that helps but just FYI some good books i've read as of late all Stephanie Meyer books Iam a junkie :) and I am about to start reading the sisters Grimm- it has some good recomendations behind it so i bet it will be good, also the princess academy was fun to read- pretty fast read but cute and original. Okay I could go on and on about books but I'll stop now.

Jessica said...

Infidel and Daughter of Fortune sound really interesting...I guess I will have to make a trip to the library - here is hoping I can do it by myself!
Have you ever read James Rollins? He is like a mix between Dan Brown and Clive Cussler (if you have ready them!) I did really like the Twilight Series, and her other book The Host too...
I am re-reading the Anne of Green Gables series right now, because I am still a kid at heart....:)
I also like David Baldacci.
OH! There is a great series by Chris Stewart called the Great and the Terrible - you just have to get past the first book which can be a little slow.
Okay - I will stop now...